|One of the visual representations of planned research on show at the workshop on 20 January|
Start to 2015The SOTL @ UJ project has had a good start to 2015. We had a research workshop that was split over 24 November 2014 and 20 January 2015, both days being well attended. Various topics were covered, including research ethics, the role of theory, research approaches and equally importantly, how one conducts dialogue within a group based on the idea of a socially just pedagogy. Some of these deliberations have found their way into the draft conceptual framework. The second version of this is on this blog. Comment on the framework can come directly to me via the email, or via comment on this blog. We shared our research plans with each other via posters (four examples on this page) and discussions in small groups. The summaries of these will be available on the blog in early February (I hope). We are also going to conduct one on one interviews with each other on matters pertaining to a socially just pedagogy. These interviews will also provide data for a form of reflection on the project itself.
Plans for 2015
- The draft seminar programme for 2015 is on this blog as well. It looks very exciting.
- The deliberations for the year will culminate with a conference on 1 December (note change of date), for project team members and others who are interested. Michalinos Zembylas, who writes about the politics of affect in post-trauma societies, will make keynote at this event.
- A further highlight for 2015 is a writing retreat during the final recess in October - we just need to source the funds and make the plans.
- We decided to attempt two joint team papers in the second semester: one on the project framework and one on data obtained from the interviews.
Some events to consider
A good way of learning from others, and of forcing yourself to work to an imposed deadline, is to send in an abstract for a conference. Here are higher education events to consider:
- 9th Annual Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference 21 - 23 September, University of KwaZulu-Natal (more information is in 'conferences' page on this blog)
- International Collaborative Writing Groups 2015 (ICWG2015) - 25 - 27 October, Melbourne (more information is in 'conferences' page)
- Higher Education Learning and Teaching Association of Southern Africa (HELTASA) (moreConference, 17 - 20 November, North West University (call not yet available)